Ruth
Today's blog features Ruth Ann. Not only is it next in the sequence of titles, but she was one of the first people who I saw using Blogger.com, which I am now also using! It also co-features her husband Shannon, who wins the award for "longest-running friendship" in my life. (Excluding family, naturally. I also consider them friends, but they have an unfair edge in this contest, and are thus disqualified.) When I first moved to St. Catharines nearly two decades ago, Shannon was in my sister Dina's class, and also attended our church. I was very shy at the time, so I realize it was one of God's great acts of compassion that moved Shannon to approach me and offer friendship. Shannon seemed to have an aura around him that drew people to him. It amazed me how he always seemed to have people around him. During the next five years, Shannon was to be my closest (and sometimes only) friend, with occasional absences due to frequent moves. Brought together by a mutual interest in computers, books, and arcades, the friendship was a good fit. I have learned many things from Shannon over the years: how to play Risk, that a six-kilometer trek is "just a short jog", and the key importance of coasters, to name a few.
At one point, Shannon moved to Toronto, depriving us of the pleasure of his company. He left his younger siblings in our youth group, (Shane attended my bible study) but it just wasn't the same. One joyous day however, he returned to us, and revealed what could be so important as to justify leaving for a few years: he came back with a wife! After meeting the charming Ruth Ann, I believe the general consensus was that he had made an excellent choice. Not only was she perfect for him (artistic, similar temperment, etc.), but she was also kind, an intelligent conversationalist, and quite willing to play strategy games. Really, what more could one ask for? To be godfather to their bunny? :)
At one point, Shannon moved to Toronto, depriving us of the pleasure of his company. He left his younger siblings in our youth group, (Shane attended my bible study) but it just wasn't the same. One joyous day however, he returned to us, and revealed what could be so important as to justify leaving for a few years: he came back with a wife! After meeting the charming Ruth Ann, I believe the general consensus was that he had made an excellent choice. Not only was she perfect for him (artistic, similar temperment, etc.), but she was also kind, an intelligent conversationalist, and quite willing to play strategy games. Really, what more could one ask for? To be godfather to their bunny? :)
5 Comments:
Thanks, Peter!!! If I ever need a character reference, I'll just send people to your blog! hehehe
p.s. Guinness says hi!
Well, I always said that good friends are like "jewels". They're precious & priceless... and not everyone can claim that they have good ones, like you little bro.
I have to admit that I consider myself very blessed in the area of friendships. I don't make friends very quickly, but I've made a few good ones that have lasted a very long time! I think this proves God has a sense of humor, since in grade school there was a bully that used to tease me for not having any friends at all. :)
Two questions. You mentioned learning the key importance of coasters; did you mean roller coasters or coffee table coasters? And are you godfather to their bunny?
Coffee coasters. I was never introduced to them as a child, but I was quickly shown the error of my ways. :) To give Shannon due credit, he is an excellent teacher! It takes a certain type of emphatic persistence to actually make me remember such details, but he succeeded, which is tough to do! (most people are half-hearted, and they usually have limited success at teaching me a new habit)
And yes, I am the proud godfather to their bunny. I even have a certificate of proof! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home