Pete's Pages / Lucid Reflections

Most recent posts are at the top. But new readers should start at "Genesis" and read upwards. ----------------- New readers: you don't need an account to comment, though you can get one if you like.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Genesis

In the beginning... Peter wrote a blog. Well strictly speaking, it was not THE beginning. Actually I have some theological doubts about if there even was a beginning. As far as I can tell, time itself is a temporary phenomenon, (isn't that wonderfully contradictory?) so the concept of an "original" beginning gets screwed up in so many lovely ways. For example: if God is timeless, and he created time for our benefit, then which of the following is true:

a) The first event to happen was whatever happened right after time was created.
b) Anything that predated time's creation predates the event in option a), proving a) to be false.
c) Both a) and b) are simultaneously true and false. The english language (and possibly human brain) simply doesn't have words (or concepts) to describe the chronology of something that exists outside of time, since we have never experienced it.

Personally, I lean towards a). The way I see it, everything else didn't predate time, it simply exists in a way that isn't time-based, so the concept of a "beginning" simply doesn't apply. It's like asking "is boredom saltier than sardines?" The solution isn't to find out how salty boredom is, but to simply realize that the word simply can't be applied to this concept.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice, I understand why we humens can not preseve anything outside of time... hmmm... I guess you said it the best Peter, "it's like trying to explan color to a blind man" or try to explan God to another person. Nobody really knows whats going on outside of time...BUT! whats ever is going on out there is happening for a reason. anywho nice blog I enjoyed reading it.

September 17, 2006 12:52 PM  
Blogger Shane Shennan said...

I like how you mention the danger of making a false comparison. I think Joanne learned something about that in Philosophy. Interesting thought.

September 22, 2006 7:33 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I think I have to give the credit to C.S. Lewis, his writing is quite the font of clear thinking! I love how he's willing to entertain any idea, but refuses to accept any sloppy logic. I think he once said something like "Christians have nothing to fear from the truth." Words to live by. :)

October 02, 2006 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home