Pete's Pages / Lucid Reflections

Most recent posts are at the top. But new readers should start at "Genesis" and read upwards. ----------------- New readers: you don't need an account to comment, though you can get one if you like.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Exodus

...where I move on from spouting semi-random curiosities and enter the promised land of bloggery.

I suppose I should properly introduce this blog.

"Reader, this is Blog. His full name is Lucid Reflections (or just Lucid), but he usually just goes by Blog. Blog, this is our reader. Blog! Don't be rude. I'm sure Reader is a nice person. Give her/him/it a chance, and I'm sure you'll be friends in no time."

Sorry about that. Blog can be a bit tempermental at times. Be patient with him, he's just a newborn, and he's still a bit shy.

Anyways! I feel I should have some sort of "Blog Manifesto" where I familiarize you with what to expect from this blog. By and large... anything. Some days it will be random stream of consciousness ramblings about whatever. (Thank you Sean for the phrase "stream of consciousness".) Take a moment, and picture it visually: a literal sparkling stream, with ideas flowing by. Cool, um? Here, I'll even provide you with a visual aid. But you have to add the extra sparkles yourself.


Other times, I'll post updates on my life, recent news, that sort of thing. I might consider putting the two into separate blogs, for the people who just are looking for the news. If you have a preference, let me know. (No, really. Let me know. Preferably early on, not 3 years into the blog when everyone is used to it the way it is.)

Oh! And the title. Blogger (the site) asks for a title, and I decided on "Lucid Reflections". Lucid seemed appropriate on multiple levels:

Lucid [loo-sid]
1. Easily understood; completely intelligible or comprehensible.
Actually this is an ironic misnomer. Most people don't know the word lucid, so ironically, lucid itself it not a lucid word. But I will try to make my blog at least somewhat lucid!

2. Characterized by clear perception or understanding; rational or sane.
Well... I'm very big on rationality. On the flip side, if you define sanity as conforming to the social norm, then perhaps my sanity is questionable... and questioned it has been. ☺

3. Shining or bright.
It would be nice to think that this blog will be a bright spot in people's lives, including my own. It would be a plus if it communicated some bright ideas as well.

4. Clear; pellucid; transparent.
(Pellucid? Who's ever heard of the world pellucid? Double word points to the first person to use it in a sentence!) As for transparent, that fits quite nicely also: I will try to be transparent and real with you as my readers, and let you see the real me. I hope to make this a place where you can get to know me better, if you are so inclined. And the reverse as well! The site supports comments by the readers, and I have a secret agenda to get to know you all better as well! Muhahaha! See Lucid? They'll never see it coming! Soon they will all fall into my trap and build stronger friendships! Not even Bond could escape this trap!

And of course the second half of the title:
Reflections, in the sense of thinking about life and textually meditating upon it. Also reflections in the visual sense, of seeing things in a new way. (Instinctively, I tend to think a mirror shows me what I already see, but in reverse. In reality, this is untrue. The object we look at most often in a mirror - ourselves - is the one thing that we usually can barely see at all, by reason of being too close to it. Strangely, this is a mirror's primary function: to distance us from ourselves, and thus enable us to understand ourselves.) And lastly, both lucidity and reflections have common themes of light and understanding, both images being important to me.

That's pretty much it. Welcome to Blog! (See? I knew you and Lucid would get along just fine!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Ok, I have to complain. How can the word pellucid contain inside itself the root word lucid, and also mean the same thing as lucid? Isn't it a pointless waste of a word?

September 17, 2006 12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to be formly intorduced Blog, my name is Robin. lol. Good blogging Peter, very creative!!

September 17, 2006 9:31 AM  
Blogger Shane Shennan said...

Hey, I like how deeply you think about the meanings of words! Plus, it was great to meet Lucid.

September 22, 2006 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to point out that the phrase "stream of consciousness" is something you encountered in high school and later on in college and I know because I discussed it with you. (incidentally I am disdaining to incorporate commas and some other forms of punctuation for the duration of this comment so don't nitpick because it will have no effect) Aside from that observation I think this a splendid example of the Peter brand of insanity and hope to be able to get to internet frequently enough to keep up with new posts. Oh for internet that I too might partner with a blog. (By the way my middle name is a synonym for lucid which I consider to be slightly ironic)

September 23, 2006 11:04 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I'm not sure when I first met Sean (it was either high school or college), but I grant the point that I may have been introduced to the phrase by multiple people. (Yes, you heard me. I'm giving the word point to Grant. Why? Because I feel like it.) :)

If you're leaving your punctuation in an incorporeal state, will we end up with ghostly commas haunting my blog? >worried look<

Double points for:
-use of the word "disdain"
-limiting your punctuation without making your comment difficult to read

(See? Now you don't have to beat up Grant to get the other point back. Which is good, because Robin would probably object, and that could lead to a catfight, which could tarnish poor Blog's reputation quite undeservedly...)

October 02, 2006 1:14 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Oh! Thank you all for your compliments and support! Really, the readers are what make the writing worthwhile, and comments are how I know that readers are actually reading. :) Not to mention that it lets us interact, which is kind of the point, for me at least. (For a supposedly shy person, I'm very aggressive at endorsing communication! lol!)

October 02, 2006 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home